Chile halts second dose, raises minimum age for AstraZeneca vaccine after blood clot report

Chile halts second dose, raises minimum age for AstraZeneca vaccine after blood clot report

Chile’s health ministry said on Thursday it would raise the minimum age for men allowed to receive AstraZeneca’s (AZN.L) COVID-19 vaccine to 45 from 18, and suspend administration of second doses until ‘that authorities complete an investigation into a man who had a blood clot after his first stroke.

Chile, a leader in vaccinating its citizens against the virus, received its first doses of the AstraZeneca-Oxford University vaccine in April. Regulators initially approved the vaccine for men over 18 and women over 45.

The health ministry said on Thursday that a 31-year-old man developed thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) – a rare but serious condition involving blood clots with a low platelet count – seven days after his first injection of AstraZeneca vaccine.

TTS has been linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine, mainly in women under 50, in other parts of the world.

The ministry said it would raise the minimum age for shooting to 45 and suspend second doses for all recipients in what it described as a “preventative and proactive measure” pending an investigation from the regulator. health.

AstraZeneca did not respond to a request for comment.

AstraZeneca’s vaccine, approved in dozens of countries but not in the United States, has come under scrutiny following reports of an extremely rare and potentially fatal disease in some people who have received the vaccine . The disease has also been linked to the Johnson & Johnson (JNJ.N) COVID-19 vaccine.

Chilean investigators said in April that they had found no cases of blood clots among the 2,200 participants who took part in a clinical trial of AstraZeneca in the South American country.

Also on Thursday, the Health Ministry confirmed that it had received reports of 30 people suffering from fatigue after receiving the single-dose Cansino Biologics vaccine (6185.HK) and three people who were unconscious.

Public health official Paula Daza said a total of 56,000 doses of the Chinese-made vaccine had been administered so far in Chile and that all those who reported “minor” side effects were now at home and in good condition “.