Palestinians clash with Israeli police in Jerusalem after Gaza ceasefire is put in place

Palestinians clash with Israeli police in Jerusalem after Gaza ceasefire is put in place

New clashes erupted on Friday inside the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem, just hours after a ceasefire entered into force between Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas.

Images of the holy site – a flashpoint of the tensions that sparked the 11-day conflict – appeared to show Israeli police firing stun grenades and tear gas, while Palestinian protesters threw stones and stones.

It was the first sign of the fragility of the truce that ended the latest conflict in Gaza on Thursday after nearly two weeks of fighting that left hundreds dead.

There had been no reports of violations as early as Friday, although each side said it was ready to retaliate for any rocket attack or airstrike from the other.

Egypt, which negotiated the deal, said it would send two delegations to monitor the ceasefire.

Download the NBC News app for the latest news and politics

Immediately after the Friday prayers, hundreds of Palestinians staged a celebratory protest in Al-Aqsa in which they waved flags and banners – some in favor of Hamas, the militant group that rules the Gaza Strip.

It is not known what sparked subsequent clashes between Palestinians and Israeli forces.

Jerusalem police described the disturbance at the complex, also known as the Temple Mount, as a “riot”.

“As soon as the midday prayer service ended, a riot broke out,” a spokeswoman said in a statement.

“Following this, the Jerusalem district commander, Doron Turgeman, ordered the police force to enter the Temple Mount and deal with the rioters … and at the same time allowed people not involved to leave.”

Earlier on Friday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a speech warned Hamas against any further rocket attacks after the ceasefire.

He pledged to respond with “a new level of force against any expression of aggression against communities around Gaza and any other part of Israel.”

Palestinians had gathered in the streets by the thousands after the ceasefire took effect, most in a jubilant mood.

More than 10 days of aerial and artillery shelling killed at least 243 Palestinians – including at least 66 children, according to the Gaza health ministry – and devastated the already impoverished Gaza Strip.

Hamas rocket barrages also crippled life in parts of Israel and left at least 12 people dead.

What started with clashes that first erupted weeks ago in Jerusalem has turned into a conflict that has spread far beyond the ancient city walls – leading to a wave of unrest civilians in Israel and protests around the world.

Clashes between Israeli police, Palestinian worshipers and Israeli nationalists – as well as plans to evict Palestinian families from land claimed by Jewish settlers in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood of East Jerusalem – have led to days of violence in and around Al-Aqsa Mosque earlier this month.

Hamas began launching rockets at Israel on May 10 as the group pledged to take a heavy toll on the country for its treatment of Islam’s third holiest site, which sits on a so-called sacred compound. for Muslims than for Jews. Israel then responded with airstrikes on Gaza.

This is breaking news, please check for updates.

Paul Goldman and The Associated Press contributed.