Surfer killed in shark attack near popular Australian beach

Surfer killed in shark attack near popular Australian beach

SYDNEY – A man was killed in an alleged shark attack Tuesday off a popular beach on the mid-north coast of Australia’s state of New South Wales, rescuers and police said.

Emergency services were called to Tuncurry Beach, more than 300 km north of Sydney, after reports of the shark attack, NSW police said in a statement.

The man, who is believed to be in his 50s, sustained serious injuries to his upper right thigh after being attacked while surfing.

“Despite the best efforts of paramedics and spectators at the scene, the man could not be resuscitated”, NSW Ambulance said in a tweet.

The incident would be Australia’s first fatal shark attack of the year, according to the Taronga Conservation Society, which collects data on shark attacks. Eight people were killed last year.

Tuncurry Beach, also known as Nine Mile Beach, and neighboring Forster Main Beach have been closed.